Monday, July 22, 2019

Episode 31: Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Friendly Globe-Hopping Spider-Man



Spidey's back, and your Planet 8 crew is here to share our take on this new Marvel blockbuster. As usual, our discussion will be SPOILER-FILLED, so make sure you see Spider-Man: Far From Home before you listen to this episode.



This time around, Spidey's no longer your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, he's a globe-hopping hero. International locations are the key to this movie, making the web-slinger seem a little more like James Bond! Larry, Bob, and Karen will talk about Spidey's expanded responsibilities and much more, such as what they thought of seeing long-time Spider-Man villain Mysterio on the big screen.


This film takes place not long after the events of Avengers: Endgame, so how is Peter dealing with the loss of Tony Stark? What's the world like, after the Snap? Did the movie deal with this effectively? We have thoughts about this...



What about Peter Parker's personal life? How are Aunt May, Ned, and of course, MJ? Spidey's always had a great supporting cast, and the MCU is developing them too, in a slightly different way. How did things go in this film? Yup, we'll jabber about that too!


For our Sensor Sweep, Engineer Bob shares some big news for Ultraman fans: Mill Creek Entertainment has acquired the rights to all of the Ultraman series all the way up to the current Taiga series. (The Ultraman shows have been embroiled in legal red tape for years; if you'd like to know the full story, check out this link and this one.) They also have rights to 20 films. They will be released in blu-ray format, and also on streaming platforms. In even more exciting news, Bob and his partner Keith Aiken of SciFi Japan have been asked to consult with Mill Creek on these releases! You can get more details over at SciFi Japan.



So tune in, turn on, and tell us what you thought of Spider-Man: Far From Home! And thanks so much to our listeners who take time to comment here or on Twitter or Facebook. We can't name all of you, but here's a few: Edo, Al, Kevin, Debby, Michael, Sean, Jasmine, Steven, John, Dan, Jeff,  Edward, and so many more! We love hearing from you, so keep it coming. And of course, here's where you can find us: 


Thanks for Listening!


5 comments:

  1. Had to wait until I saw this one before I could listen; saw the movie on Wednesday but then only found the time to listen to the show today.
    Enjoyed the discussion as usual, and I find myself agreeing with Larry the most on assessments of the various Spidey films. For me, these last two MCU entries with Tom Holland are the only ones that really get Spider-man right, both in terms of casting and story. Sure, it's not "my" Spider-man, but I think that they (mostly) capture the essence of the character. I say mostly because to an extent I agree with Karen that perhaps they don't emphasize the perennial down-on-his-luck aspect that seemed to be the through-line in the comics. Even so, in Far From Home in particular, he really took a physical beating at several points, with his costume(s) all ripped up and his body all beaten and bruised.
    Also, I have to say that I'm really fond of the way both Homecoming and Far From Home meld superheroics with teen comedy and teen romance. I think it's really a winning formula that makes for some very entertaining movies.
    On the matter of MJ, I honestly think the only reason her name isn't Mary Jane is because it would have tipped any long-time comics fans off that she was in fact destined to be Peter's big love and distracted from the whole crushing on Liz (not Allen!) sub-plot. When she said she preferred to be called 'MJ' at the end of the movie, it served as kind of a reveal I think.
    Back to the movie in question, I was also really happy with the way Mysterio was done, globe and all. And yes, I loved that Jameson, again played by Simmons, showed up in the post-credits scene!
    As to potential villains in the next Spider-man movie, I actually think Scorpion is a real possibility, since, as you all noted, Gargan appeared in Homecoming. Kraven is another possibility, I suppose, even though he wouldn't be my first choice (as for casting him, if he wasn't getting a bit too old at this point, I think Peter Stormare would be perfect). Personally, I'd wouldn't mind seeing someone like Tarantula - although I suppose they'd have to really do some work to make sure he doesn't come across as a racist caricature. Or even an off-the-wall, lame villain like Rocket Racer, but re-tooled to make him cool and dangerous.

    Otherwise, I won't go into all the speculation about future MCU movies and how properties like the FF and/or X-men may be folded into it, but I will say that I first suggested that the FF be made as a period piece set in the 1960s and then having them go into the Negative Zone at the end and come out in the present day a good 4 or so years ago at the Bronze Age Babies. I think I may have even repeated that suggestion here in the comments at some point, but I'm too lazy to go look for it...
    Edo Bosnar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I’ve been MIA, I was vacationing in Greece for 3 weeks, Far from home myself, lol.
      Good to hear from you Edo, I think if done right the Scorpion could work! It would be cool to wee what they would do with the Goblin... I guess we shall see if Spidey still has ties with Disney and if not what type of take will we see going forward???

      Delete
  2. I just saw the movie last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved all the nods to Mysterio's beginnings and how they updated him, and deciding to give him a Tech Team for behind the scenes was brilliant! As for Nick Fury, and Maria Hill being Skrulls, and for how long is a good question. I'm thinking Fury has been in space since after Age of Ultron, right before C.A.: Civil War, possibly even right before Infinity War. His character was strangely absent from the movies from the end of Age of Ultron until seeing him and Maria Hill fall to the snap. In far from home, Nick Fury was so different from his character in previous movies that I was thinking he was an illusion, or a Skrull. I had heard the skrulls were making an appearance in the end credit scene awhile back before the movie was released, so that is were the skrulls on my mind popped in from. They did this well, and it made sense when you see him on the massive station, which may be the space base for S.H.I.E.L.D.'s sister organization: S.W.O.R.D., which operates in space.
    So we all know that this new Spidey series is gearing up to release the Sinister Six, and that in the third movie (IMO) they will most likely introduce Doctor Octopus, and possibly the Scorpion (Doc Ock probably makes his suit, funded by J.J. himself, of course.
    After this arc with the sinister six, I pray for a proper Lizard, and Green Goblin!
    Anyway, good episode folks! Please continue the good work.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kev! Sorry for the delay in a reply, I’ve been far from home myself lol.

      I enjoy reading your comments and agree. I would love to see a proper Green Goblin also!! I guess let’s see where they take Spidey next???

      Delete
  3. P.S.
    I forgot to mention that Karen won over my scaly, little heart by bringing up Amazing Spider-Man #45 where he's fighting the Lizard with a busted arm. ASM issues #44 & #45 were the very first two "vintage" comics I had ever purchased as a kid, with the help of my Mom, of course. Great times!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete