Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Episode 26: One Year Later: We're in the Endgame Now



It's been one whole year since the Planet 8 crew started on our mission to explore the worlds of science fiction, fantasy, and horror, and we began our first episode with a look at a little film called Avengers: Infinity War. For our one year anniversary, we come full circle, as we share our thoughts on the conclusion to the Avengers saga, Avengers: Endgame!  Be warned, this is a SPOILER FILLED episode, so if you are one of the handful of people who still haven't seen Endgame, don't blame us if  you hear something you didn't want to know!!


Like Infinity War, Endgame is a huge, sprawling epic -and clocks in at a massive, bladder-busting three hours! But no fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe should miss this film, as it is truly the end of an era. Join with Larry, Bob, and Karen as they discuss not only Endgame, but their feelings on the MCU as a whole, as we wrap our minds around the amazing feat of 22 films from Marvel Studios in 11 years!


Each of the original six Avengers get their moments, and we discuss all of them (some more than others) and what we liked, and some things we might have liked to see go differently. One's thing for certain: we've had years to get to know these heroes, and like most of you, we've become very attached to them! Don't be shocked if you hear us get a little choked up...yeah, we're a bunch of softies!


After you've listened to us ramble on about Endgame, be sure to tell us what you thought. What were your high points? Anything you thought was out of step? And where does the MCU go now?

No Sensor Sweep this time around friends -as we were recording this episode, we found out about the passing of Peter Mayhew, better known to all of us as Chewbacca. Mr. Mayhew made such an impact on all of us first for imbuing the lovable Wookiee with such a recognizable personality, but then later, through his charming presence at conventions, and through his social media feeds. He was the epitome of a Gentle Giant - a sweet, funny, kind man. We will miss him greatly.



And that's a wrap on year one! Thanks to all of you who listen to, comment on, and support Planet 8! We truly appreciate your interest in the show, and hope to keep expanding and improving as we move into year two! Please feel free to comment here, or you can reach us at our other locations:


Thanks for Listening!


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the first anniversary, everyone! I've been enjoying the show so far, and I enjoyed your discussion of Endgame.

    Personally, I really liked it, and agree that it wrapped up the first decade of MCU films quite nicely. I'm with Larry, by the way, on the emotional impact of so much of it: I didn't break out in tears, but came close a few times, including tears of joy at a few points (like seeing Valkyrie riding the winged horse in the final battle - that was friggin' awesome!). Also, when Jim Starlin appeared in the support group with Cap I actually shouted out loud in the theater.
    One of my own criticisms of it echoes Karen's, i.e., the whole Natasha/Black Widow aspect. First, her death was a real shocker (I was fully expecting Iron Man to check out, and I actually thought Hulk was probably going to make the ultimate sacrifice as well - when he put on the Infinity Gauntlet, I was thinking, 'here it comes...'); second, I also thought that funeral/memorial scene at the end should have included her as well. And I found it more than a bit annoying that in both Infinity War and Endgame it's a woman's body we see at the bottom of the chasm.
    Also, that leads me to my own big question of a hanging plotline - since Cap went back and returned all the Infinity Stones, including the Soul stone, shouldn't that "take back" Natasha's sacrifice? Or is will that be the explanation for why Gamora might still be around for the next Guardians movie? Thinking about that one makes my head hurt...

    Nice tribute to Peter Mayhew at the end. All in all, well done - both this episode and the entire past year. Looking forward to many more.
    Edo Bosnar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Edo for always being involved in the conversations for the past year! I look forward to many for conversations about our future podcasts. I waited to reply until I was able to watch Endgame for a second time. I have to say that I am still disappointed in Natasha‘s death but I did pay closer attention this time to everyone’s reaction to the news of her demise. While the remaining avengers gathered at the lake and Clint explains there’s no way to undo what has been done, to bring her back and he and Thor argue over being able to bring her back, Hulk throwing the bench and Steve and Tony tearing up... I want to believe this was the moment Natasha's “family” said good bye to her. Now who knows how things will play out moving forward, we will have to wait and see. I also noted the reversal between Cap and Iron Man, Tony made the ultimate sacrifice and the Steve, having survived, cheated and remained back in time to live the life Tony always referred to... I’ll need to watch this movie a few more times before I can ultimately say where it lies in my picks of Marvel movies. I’ll end with saying it still did not feel like a 3 hour movie!! I really did and do enjoy this film. Excelsior!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Edo! We really appreciate you popping in regularly to let us know how we're doing.

    Overall I felt Endgame was a solid conclusion to this cycle of Marvel films, and while I have some complaints, I really can't complain, because I never imagined we would get such fantastic films! I do wonder where they can go from here, because frankly, I don't find myself nearly as interested in the remaining characters as I was in this initial group of Avengers. But Marvel has a knack for surprising me.

    ReplyDelete