Thursday, November 22, 2018

Episode 15: Thankful for Star Trek



To our listeners in the United States: Happy Thanksgiving! In the spirit of the holiday, your Planet 8 crew is giving thanks of their own, for something that has had a major impact on the three of us (and we suspect, a lot of you, too): Star Trek!



Each of selected an episode of classic Trek to discuss. We hope you enjoy the episodes we chose. It was hard choosing just three since we have so many favorites! But we're already talking about doing another show on Star Trek. There are just too many great episodes left to discuss! Here are our choices:

Bob - Arena;
Karen - Amok Time;
and Larry, All Our Yesterdays




This episode's Sensor Sweep looks at (appropriately) a fantastic tome from Titan Books called Star Trek Lost Scenes. This mammoth, 270 page treasure-trove was produced by David Tilotta and Curt McAloney, and is a joy to any Trekkie or Trekker's eyes. The authors have assembled a wonderful collection of  behind the scenes clips, deleted scenes, and bloopers. They've used modern technology to digitally scan and color-correct these old film clips, vastly improving the image quality. The truly exciting thing is that they've gathered pictures most fans  have never seen before, from scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor. It's truly worthy of being in any Star Trek fan's collection.

Gorn anatomy 101
Deleted scene, 'Elaan of Troyius'

Besides Star Trek, we're thankful for all of you who listen to the podcast and leave comments, either here, or at Twitter or the Facebook page. We really enjoy hearing what you thought of each episode and what you'd like to hear us talk about in future ones. If you haven't found us in those other places yet, here's how:

Thanks for Listening! And...live long and prosper!

Our closing song this episode is "Surf Trek" by the Rubinoos. Other clips are copyright CBS.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirk is my cowboy. Picard is way too politically correct for me :) but I still like him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this show even more than usual, just because I'm such an unabashed Trek fan; I really had fun listening to your conversation and your picks for best episode. All fine choices, although I think I like 'Amok Time' the best of them.
    Otherwise, I can't really add anything to the reasons you all enumerated to be thankful for Star Trek, as you touched on all of the most important aspects. I suppose my own reason would be closest to the point (I think) Larry made, that the future it posits gives us all a sense of hope that the best aspects of humanity will prevail.

    As for my own episode choice, I don't think I can say I have an absolute favorite, but there's a few I like better than most and can watch anytime the opportunity arises (I think both 'Amok Time' and 'Arena' fall into that category). I'll add another that I just love, 'The Trouble with Tribbles.' I know this one gets knocked by a sub-set of hardcore fans for being a little too humorous, but I just love it - there's so many great character moments (like that scene between Kirk and Scotty) that make it an absolute joy to watch.
    Casting the net wider to include post-TOS series, I'd say another of my very favorite episodes of any Trek show ever is episode 23 of Voyager's third season, 'Distant Origin.' Basically, the Voyager crew encounters a race in the Delta Quadrant who are the direct descendants of a species of dinosaur. To me, this one just captures one of the coolest aspects of Star Trek: it takes a great SF premise and spins it out into a fascinating story.
    Edo Bosnar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments folks. This was an episode we enjoyed doing but it was difficult choosing just one Star Trek episode apiece to discuss! I had narrowed it down to Amok Time or Balance of Terror, and Amok Time barely won. I know Bob also considered Doomsday Machine. And Larry, well, he mentioned Spock's Brain...I'm not sure if he was serious or messing with us. But we definitely want to revisit this topic.

    Edo, I agree with you regarding Trek's SF sensibilities and that's one reason I think I love it so much and feel that there really isn't a show that has filled that void. Although I love Star Wars too, I don't consider it to be SF -it's space opera or space fantasy and in many ways, it damaged the perception and even appetite for true science fiction in film and TV. I'm hoping the second season of Star Trek: Discovery will do a better job of getting back to its SF roots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all I and thanks for the comments. Edo truth be told I pretty much love Star Trek, even the episode Spock’s Brain. Each actor brought their A game to each episode, arguments can be made on if Mr. Roddenberry was involved in each episode and how much if at all. There’s a bunch of unsung hero’s behind the scenes. I’d love to do this again and hope we do one soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, I always love a good Trek discussion, so I'll look forward to any more episodes in that vein. And yeah, like you, with a few exceptions I pretty much love all of Star Trek across the board. Heck, earlier this year, I even wrote a defense of the oft-maligned season 3 of TOS.
      Edo Bosnar

      Delete