Sunday, September 22, 2019

Episode 35: Grab Your Cereal, It's Cartoon Time!




Hey kids! Get up, grab your cereal bowl, and join the Planet 8 crew to watch your favorite Saturday morning cartoons! We'll reminisce today about not only our favorite cartoons, but those wonderful sugary cereals as well.




Bob gives us the low down on Jonny Quest, the classic Hanna Barbera 1960s action adventure cartoon series. He'll talk about the characters, episodes, voice talent, and more. If you love Jonny Quest, you won't want to miss this.




Karen looks at a non-Saturday morning cartoon: Justice League and Justice League Unlimited that ran on the Cartoon Network originally. She describes the set up for the show, how it changed when they went to Justice League Unlimited,  and the crew discusses what they loved about this iconic super-hero animated series.



To wrap it up, Larry covers the sometimes-forgotten Star Trek series: Star Trek The Animated Series. Running in 1973 and 1974, the 22 episodes continued the original series five year voyage. We'll discuss the voice acting -by most of the original cast -and some of the more interesting stories.



Let us know some of your favorite cartoons. What kept you glued to the tube as a youngster?

For our Sensor Sweep, Larry shares a book called Star Trek: The Guide to the Animated Series by Aaron Harvey and Rich Schepis. The book is full of photos of the script pages,sketches,  interviews with the writers, and just tons of information about the planning and development of the series. The Commander highly recommends it!



Also - don't miss our big Planet 8 Listeners Appreciation Party! We'll be podcasting live at the 7 Stars Bar and Grill at 398 S. Bascom Ave, San Jose, California on October 20th starting at 1 pm. There will be a live DJ, prizes, food, and more! Come by and celebrate with the Planet 8 crew. We'd love to meet you and say thanks for listening!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, man. Great topic, great conversation. Where to start? In order, I guess.
    So, favorite cereal: it changed from time to time. Initially I think I liked Lucky Charms the best, then it was Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries, then Frankenberry and Boo Berry (seeing a theme?). I also liked Fruity Pebbles, though. And Froot Loops. And Applejacks. Man - So. Much. Sugar.

    Jonny Quest: great pick. It's a wonderful cartoon. When they were rotated on Saturday mornings in the 1970s, it was must-watch TV for me. Also, I can't believe that I did not know until now that Tim Matheson voiced Jonny. Amazing. (He should play Dr. Quest in the live-action movie.)

    And I totally agree with all of Larry's superlatives about the Trek animated show. I also think it's canon, basically season 4 of the original series. I only have the vague memories of watching it when it ran on Saturday mornings - my older brother would put it on in that brief period when we both watched on Saturday morning (I can totally relate to Karen's experiences in that regard, my older brother is 5 years older than me). I've watched them more recently and thoroughly enjoyed them, despite the rudimentary animation. They're just really good stories, and it helps that most of the original cast resumed their roles as voice actors.
    Otherwise, since Karen mentioned them, I also loved the Filmation Batman and Tarzan cartoons from the latter half of the 1970s. I liked that West and Ward did the voice acting for Batman, and the Tarzan cartoon actually got me to start picking up the Tarzan comics (published by Marvel at the time), which quickly led to reading the novels, which then led to other books by Burroughs.
    My own pick for a favorite Saturday morning cartoon is another Filmation feature, Flash Gordon. That one was really interesting because the episodes were all part of a serial story, rather than one-off adventures.

    Looking forward to future shows focusing on cartoons and other animated features!
    Edo Bosnar

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome topic and episode! I agree that y'all must do another one, nay!, another few of these Cartoons of our Childhood episodes, plus a couple of Live Action Children's Shows as well.
    All three of your choices hit home runs for me, Although Karen's pick should have been saved for a "Favorite Animated Series" as Adults episode, but that is my only nit to pick here.
    So many awesome cereals to be eaten back then! Quisp was one of my favorites, and is still being produced in parts of the U.S. and Mexico, I think. I found some boxes at a Grocery Outlet a few years ago, and they had current dates on them, so I bought a couple. Quisp mostly retains the flavor memory from childhood, unlike my other favorites from back then: the Monster Cereals Fankenberry, Count Chocula, and Boo Berry. Frankenberry was my favorite of the three. I loved Peanut Butter Crunch, and that odd but very tasty Pink Panther Flakes Cereal too. I was also a Fruity Pebbles kid, and will list one more awesome but obscure cereal I loved: Sir Grape Fellow & its competing flavor: Baron Von Redberry. Sir Grape Fellow was my favorite of the two kinds. Strange Grape Soda flavored cereal. I loved many others, but will not list for space & time sake.
    My favorite Saturday Morning cartoons of 1969 were Dastardly & Mutley in their Flying Machines, Wacky Races, and The Amazing Spider-Man which came on right before The National Geographic show. Luckily, for me, I had similar cartoon likes as did my Older Brother, so there were rarely fights over the TV viewing. Great memories! I can barely wait for the next Favorite cartoons episode!
    Thanks again guys, and gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great picks all around Kev! Hey is it my imagination or not, but did they used to have a werewolf cereal with the other monsters? I never tried it but recall seeing it on the cereal shelf maybe once or twice or did I dream it? Lol

      Delete
    2. Hey Larry,
      Yes, you are not dreaming, the werewolf was called The Fruit Brute, and there was also Yummy Mummy (don't think naughty thoughts with this one!). Both had pretty much the same Fruity Cereal with Marshmallows. They were both rarely found in our area. Mostly in the East Coast/Midwest areas.

      Delete