Friday, December 21, 2018

Episode 17: Planet 8 Warps Into the Spider-Verse!



Happy Holidays! Your Planet 8 crew is celebrating the season by getting together and talking about how much we enjoyed Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse! This new animated feature was a perfect gift for your three hosts, as we are long-time Spider-Man fans. It's a fantastic-looking film that truly celebrates the Spider-Man mythos. This will be a SPOILER-FILLED discussion, so be sure to see the movie before you listen to the show! Believe us, you'll be glad you did.


We also take some time to discuss the previous film incarnations of Spidey, as well as reminisce about how we first discovered old Webhead, our favorite Spidey artists, stories, and more. It's a web-slingin' extravaganza!

A strange transmission from outside Planet 8 was intercepted this week. We're not sure what it means, but it was identified as something called "Monster Kid Radio." This could be the prelude to an invasion. We suggest you investigate, for your own safety!

This episode, Chief Engineer Bob shows off an early Christmas gift for our Sensor Sweep, the Iron Giant "Riobot" articulated figure from Sentinel. This is a super-detailed 6.30" die-cast and PVC replica of the heroic robot. This figure is crazily poseable! Check out how Bob set him up below. You can find the little big guy for sale at Big Bad Toy Store.




That's all from us this time around. Wishing everyone the happiest of holidays! We'll be back with a review of the major sci fi, super-hero, monster and other related happenings of 2018 next time. Be sure to drop by and let us know what you thought of Into the Spider-Verse, and tell us what Santa brought you! You can reach us here, or at:


Thanks for Listening!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent show, everybody - I always love a good discussion of Spidey, who was a) in the first comic book I ever had (Marvel Tales #59, reprinting Amazing Spider-man #78), b) my favorite superhero for the longest time, and c) still one of my favorite characters.
    Haven't seen Spiderverse yet, but I intend to, as I've heard nothing but good things about it.
    Personally, I've read very little of the newer Spidey stuff, whether in the standard or Ultimate universes, but I like to go back and read the material I have in various reprint books. Most recently I just read through the entirety of Len Wein's run on ASM, which I really enjoyed.
    As for your question about favorite Spider-man artist: all of you had excellent choices, but for me it's a question I can't answer with a single choice, rather it always comes down to a pentumvirate: Ditko, Romita Sr., Gil Kane, Ross Andru and Sal Buscema - the latter two probably tell you a lot about when I first started reading comics.
    Edo Bosnar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Edo! I hope you get to see Into the Spiderverse. It really is a terrific movie, and so faithful to the Spider-Man ethos.

    Your list of artists hits close to home -with the exception of Ditko, they were all part of my early Spidey years. I like Kane much more now than I did as a kid, and Andru has always been "OK" -it's not fair really that he has to go up against Romita in my head, but that's my yardstick! Of course, Sal came on when Spectacular Spidey premiered, and while I never thought Spider-Man was his best match (I'd say Hulk) he did a fine job. I can still remember being surprised by the idea of a second Spider-Man book! Little did I know that was just the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Sal Buscema’s work on the original Nova comic book and was very disappointed when Carmine Infantino took over the art. It was never the same. And his brother John was always my favorite artist on Thor. He also did a great job on Marvel’s Tarzan book.

    But yes, I always say Spidey is my favorite Western superhero. Mainly because Ultraman is in the East and rules my world. ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. cheap Christian Louboutin shoes, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of cheap Christian Louboutin shoes, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete