Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Episode 18: Time Keeps on Slippin'...Into the Future



If you're reading this, it means you made it! Congratulations and welcome to 2019. Your Planet 8 crew survived multiple attacks by Zanti misfits and those creeps on Planet 9, and have put together a retrospective show on 2018 -we look back on the movies and shows that came out this last year. You might be surprised by some of our favorites, and the ones we thought missed the mark. We also salute those genre actors, artists, and others who left us in 2018. Finally, we discuss what we're most excited about in this new year. Which movies and TV shows are high on the Planet 8 crew's list? You'll have to listen to find out!




For our Sensor Sweep, Mission Commander Larry brings to our attention the small but deadly Infinity Gauntlet Mini from Hot Toys (you can find the details here:
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-infinity-gauntlet-hot-toys-903359/). This little beauty looks just like the shiny glove that wiped out half the universe in Avengers: Infinity War. It stands about 6.5" high, and it even has light-up features. Want to impress and/or terrify your co-workers? Put this on your desk!


We want to thank all of you listeners who have been tuning in and sharing with us. We appreciate your feedback! We'd love to get more comments from you, either here, or at the other places where we monitor  Earth transmissions:


Thanks for Listening!

5 comments:

  1. Loved this show; I think really enjoy the episodes in which you guys jump around from topic to topic - it's like being privy to a great conversation among fellow geeks in a bar or cafe.
    Anyway, first and foremost, I have to say that on the topic of this year's passings, I can't emphasize enough how big the loss of Ursula Le Guin was; she was more than just the writer of the Earthsea cycle. As good as those book are, they are only just one component of the excellent body of work she left behind in quite a few genres: SF, fantasy, historical fiction, non-genre short stories, poetry, etc. In my opinion, her writing never peaked, as she just kept on producing top-notch work until her death. She was perhaps the greatest writer of the past several decades (I mean in general).
    Also, another passing that unfortunately went unnoticed among many SF fans this year was Kate Wilhelm. She wrote some fantastic new wave SF in the 1970s especially, but then later in life turned to writing (outstanding) mystery/court thrillers.

    On the topic of the Aquaman movie, which I just saw last week, I apparently liked it better than Larry and Karen. I found it quite enjoyable for the most part, and was amazed at how much stuff from the comics was included in it. I was initially not pleased when I heard Momoa was cast as Arthur, but he grew on me; he's not my Aquaman, but he grew on me. (I won't say which parts I didn't like as much and which I think could have been cut out, because they might be too spoilery in case Bob hasn't seen it yet.)

    Can't comment much on the TV shows, as I haven't watched any of them with one exception: I've seen about 3 episodes of Orville. I definitely agree with Karen that its basically Next Gen with the addition of some sit-comish (and occasionally risque) humor, but I find it strangely watchable.
    And I agree with Larry about that episode of TOS with 'Redjac' (Wolf in the Fold). That one scared me as a kid, and even later when I watched it I always found it a bit creepy.
    - Edo Bosnar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see Aquaman last weekend. And I did like it much more than my cohorts did. In fact, I’m debating with myself, between Aquaman and Wonder Woman, which one was the best DC film since The Dark Knight. I’m thinking, to me, Aquaman was more fun than WW. So that might give it the edge for me over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, yes. I’m going to start the year off with a controversial statement and say it now.... Aquaman is the best DC film since The Dark Knight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardly controversial; in fact, I'll go so far as to say that - since I didn't really like the Nolan Batmans, either - Aquaman and Wonder Woman are by far the two best DC films. (Saw Justice League recently, too, and mostly I wasn't too impressed, although I'd put it in a distant second place.)
      Edo Bosnar

      Delete
  4. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com
    Or Add up on Whats-app +233248104710

    ReplyDelete